04 August 2010

I'm a weed!

I was outside doing some landscaping today and was hit with a startling revelation. 

When we compare ourselves to many things in life, we usually chose the more complimentary and more attractive of things; however, I did not do that.  I took pride in realizing that I'm a weed.  Yes, that's right a weed!  Not a rose; not an exotic flower, but your average garden variety weed; no pun intended.

Why you might ask? Well, I'm happy you did because I'm about to tell you.

You see, weeds are strong, resilient, and can pop up regardless of their environment.  They don't worry about their looks, as they find beauty within themselves never worrying about fitting in.  Weeds survive harsh terrains, withstand various weather conditions, and are pretty hard to get rid of.  Weeds don't require constant time and attention as they're self-sustaining and aren't seasonal.  Even with snow on the ground, the weed will be the first to break ground and mark they're place in the world.  And it's for these reasons why I'm a weed.

Over the years, I've survived adversity and remained in place; though sometimes a little worn.  I have not let lifes circumstances make me wither and die or hide.  I've always stayed strong, remained upbeat and determined, and most all, found my place anywhere at anytime.  I'm proud of my status as a weed.  I'm proud to know I can grow between concrete; the proverbial rock and a hard place and most of all, I find beauty in myself unquestionably.

When you consider what you are in life; what comes to mind?

Stay blessed!

5 comments:

  1. never thought about it that way...that actually was a wonderful analogy...keep being you blu

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I consider what I am in life, what comes to mind is a teabag. I get stronger when I'm in hot water.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with T.C. Definitely didn't think of it that way. I love that analogy.

    I don't really have an analogy for myself, but your post made me think of this one scene in "Fighting Temptations" where Beyonce's character says the following:

    "You know Sally had a saying; when life makes you deal with mean and hateful people think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you they may rub you in the wrong way but eventually you will polished and smooth and the sandpaper will be worn and ugly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wind - always changing and we rarely know what direction it's coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that analogy. Amazing what we find out about ourselves when out in nature!

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to say something...