31 October 2010

Expect the unexpected

Given that I haven't been in a monogamous relationship in half a decade, imagine my surprise to find myself in the semblance of one.  It is truly a case of "it just happened" and one I'm finding most enjoyable.  We've known each other for almost 3 years and have been best friends for the better part of 2 of them.  It was a naturally forming friendship were we went from topical banter to deep and insightful conversation, where a deep level of confidence is established.  We have like personalities in some ways and are polar opposites in others, but somehow we seem to compliment each other pretty well and it works. 

It's pretty interesting how we seamlessly transitioned from being 'just friends' to this 'untitled exclusivity'.  We talk openly and honestly about what has happened and where we are emotionally as he's currently separated and dealing with very raw and nebulous emotions, where I'm more secure emotionally, but a little gun shy about allowing someone this close to me.  In truth, I'm okay with it all.  I'm enjoying the feelings he erupts and the confidence I feel with him.  He finds a level of peace and security with me that allows him to work with himself and through the ever-changing moods he sometimes finds himself in, but as I said; we seem to work.

While I saw none of it coming, I'm happy to be on this road as the journey is refreshing and insightful in many ways.  Our prior friendship served as a great foundation for us to being where we are now and I can appreciate something; my lover being my best friend; as something I haven't done in over a decade.  I haven't a clue where the final destination will take us and it would be nice to be put a title on us, but there's no need to fix what isn't broken, so it'll continue in the same fashion it currently exists; free-flowing. 

I've heard the term "expect the unexpected" many times in my life and it has happened in other ways in my life, but having it occur this way is by far the best to date.

Open your hearts/minds; expect the unexpected!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Blu!

    Been trying to catch up to you! It's your girl, Hoodoo from hoodooinfluences. Glad to see you back, glad to be back. Been a long time. I'm sorry for your family losses (two hugs and a pat); I'd been going thru the same thing for the last three years. Lost my mom, my oldest brother and the pain and grief was indescribable. I've changed a lot of things about myself since I've been gone; I see you've had some major changes as well. We gotta keep in touch, Sis. I'm still at the same URL, just a different type of girl now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah: happy Halloween and happy Thanksgiving! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me smile on many different levels! you are inspiring as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post. Full of joy and hope. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to say something...